Monday, January 31, 2011

The Kid - Day 1

You know you were loaded the night before when you wake up with your 21 and over club bracelet still on...and very little else.

I picked up The Kid from the airport yesterday. I was so excited! I had stayed up all night cleaning my house and prepping for his arrival. This was the first time he had come out to visit me in LA.

I received a text from him at 7am, " We're taking off! Woot woot! What's for breakfast?"

The boy loves to eat...I jumped out of bed to finish my prepping, irrationally giddy.

Two hours before his flight arrives.  I throw in a few loads of laundry and finish up my last minute cleaning. I get the call an hour and a half later. "We're here."

"See you in 20." I reply. Their flight landed early. Damn.I throw on a short fitted dress and a pair of black gladiators. I look at myself in the mirror. Good enough. Besides, I'm pretty sure I already have this guy in the bag.

I cruise down to LAX to pick them up. I get stopped at the check point by LAX security. Naturally. The copper makes  few jokes about patting me down. I humour him and grin along as if I think he is clever and cute till he finally sends me on my way.  Atleast now I know I look good.

I see the two of them on the curb. The Kid has brought his friend Goodtimes with him. I had partied with Goodtimes twice before. The guy was a blasty blast. Super outgoing, down for anything, and a total jokester. This was gonna be a fun weekend.

"What's up ya'll" I yell, and run over to The Kid to give him a squeeze. He is looking super hot in his pancake hat and shades.

"Hope you guys are ready to party LA style," I tell them.

"Lets do this!," Goodtimes replies.

I'm practically hopping in my seat. I babble the whole drive to the beach. I just can't believe he's here! In my car...hell in my city. My worlds are colliding. All these years he has been back in the shadows. Out of state out of mind. But he's here, and its real. I look over and trip out how my California sun is hitting his cutie pie face. He smiles. He looks just like Joey from friends when he smiles. Hot.

We get to our destination, Hermosa Beach. Its the closet to the airport and the boardwalk is a good starting point. Instead of walking up to the restaurant I detour them to the pier. They are loving it. Its a beautiful clear sunny day. The waves look gorgeous even to me. They pull out their cameras and start snapping photos. I'm so proud to show them my city. I'm determined to make this day the best.

After a few I lead them back to the restaurant. I chose Henneseys on the pier. They have a roof top deck overlooking the ocean with glass walls to protect us from the winds. I can tell they dig it.

We grub down and the boys get their party started with a few drinks. Bloody Mary for Goodtimes. Dirty Martini for The Kid. I indulge in a mimosa wanting to fit in and be part of the crowd. Two sips in and I'm already buzzed. Now I just want grab The Kid by his face and get my mack on...but alas, that's not our way. The casual observer would never know that we are together. He and I were friends at first and we still act the same way when in public. As much as I am hating it I actually enjoy the anticipation. Its like we are hooking up for the first time every time I see him.

We finish up our breakfast and its time for me to take them to destination number two. I take side streets and turn off onto PV Drive South. It leads us along the back side of the Palos Verdes hills. Its a lovely drive. On our left we see insane multi million dollar homes perched perilously on the side of the cliffs...To our right, a drop off to the Pacific ocean. Cameras are out again. I pop in my Los Lonely Boys cd and begin to plan out the rest of the day in my head. I'm thinking tide pools in Pedro followed by Sunken City. They are going to trip.

I drive down the backside of the cliff to Royal Palms State Beach. The drive down is steep but offers a great view of whats to come. I hear both the boys gasp in awe. They live in a state without beaches. I can only imagine what this must look like to them. The tidepools are mad cool. The waves are crashing up against the exposed coral and rock. We jump out of the car and I lead them from rock to rock to the edge of the beach. The tide is low and there is plenty to see. Crabs are scuttling everywhere. I force them both to touch a few sea urchins attached to the side of the pools.

The Kid doesn't have a problem but Goodtimes has a small freak with one. I pull out the video and begin to shoot his repeated attempts to touch the sea life. He finally connects screaming like a girl as he runs away from the squishy little creature. We spend the rest of the day telling him that he finger banged sea life.

Both the boys are grinning from ear to ear. They keep looking at each other passing a silent, can you believe this?, message with their eyes. You boys ain't seen nothing yet

We hop back in the car and I continue our cruise down the coast to Point Ferman Park. I park the car in front of the cliff top biker bar and I lead them over to the wall separating the park from the cliff side.

"hop on over boys, " I tell them as I do just that. There is a small ledge on the other side. I lead them to the fence along the side of the cliff and show them how to slip under the man made hole so that we can sneak onto the other side.

We walk along the cliff side for a bit and then they finally they see it. Sunken City.

Back in the day this used to be apart of the city. Streets and houses line the coast until 1929 when the coast began to slip into the ocean. All but two houses were saved but the rest went right into the sea. All that's left now are large slaps of sidewalks and streets. The ground isn't level so the the debris is scattered everywhere. My favorite piece is a huge slab of street about the size of a car that is perched on top of a pointed rock. The entire area is covered in brightly colored spray paint from dozens of taggers that roll through, wanting to mark that they've been here. The end result is the coolest best kept secret in Los Angeles, all sitting on the back side of a town that rarely is driven through.

We continue to take photos and joke around. The grins are still there. We've done alot in the since their plane landed. I'm satisfied with the days tourism. Its been a few hours since our last drink so I lead them back through the hole in the fence and cruise to Ports O'Call to drink up some Margaritas along side the harbor.

We are all having a good time. They trip out on the huge ships docked at the port right in front of our water side restaurant. The sea gulls are annoying the hell out of everyone and we are getting sufficiently buzzed again.

It's getting late so I load them back up so that we can make the trek back to West Los Angeles. They've seen the Southbay. Now its time to show them Hollywood. And LA freaking traffic. They both take a quick nap as I expertly swerve through the mounds of cars. I pull off onto Venice blvd and stop by the grocery so that the boys can buy their booze for the weekend. They are on vacation and plan on being good and toasted while they are here.

Back at my place I begin to make my calls. The Kid is here and I need to gather the crew to help show them a rockin good time. Hippie Chick has a plan in the works as usual and invites us all to tag along.

"Where to?," I ask.

"Ying Yang Twins concert at the Key Club in Hollywood," she answers.

Hilarious. We are so in.

I jump online to try to buy tickets but every site I look at says that they are sold out. I shoot a few texts over to Homeless boyfriend for help. "Don't worry," he says. "There are tickets.

But I'm still worried. My worse nightmare would be for us to show up and get turned away at the door. I text Hippie Chick about the situation and she calls me back.

"Carrie. Don't worry about it. There is two words you need to learn when hanging with us. Repeat after me. Tickets shmikets." she tells me.

I laugh and repeat it,"Tickets shmikets."

"Say it again with conviction," she tells me.

"Tickets Shmickets!," I yell into the phone. Alright. To Hollywood we go.

We all get dolled up for the night and I get another text from HC. "Meet us at the bar."

She means Partyboys bar. Where he is working. Tonight. This is going to be interesting. I mean I know I killed him off but he doesn't know that. I''m going to need to avoid him just in case he decides to have a 'warm' night with me.

I shoot Henny a text to tell her where the meet and greet is going to be. She was trying to ditch out on the nights festivities so I decide to guilt the hell out of her to change her mind.

"I told you The Kid was coming almost 2 months ago! You are not going to make me go to this bar by myself to deal with Partyboy and The Kid at the same time. Now get dressed bitch and I'll see you there." I text her.

She responds with a simple,"ok, I'm there."
I love my friends.

We drive down to Homeless Boyfriends apartment and give them a quick call to see if they are still upstairs. I definitely don't I want to roll up to the bar with my two boys and have Partyboy check our ID's alone. "Were still here, come on up," she says. Good. Glad I called.

We walk up the stairs to the second floor and as we walk up to the apartment door Homeless Boyfriends roommate pops out the door to greet us. He is still wearing what I have to believe is his pajamas, his trademark blue glasses and he is rocking some mad Astro Boy hair. "Hey Astro, whats going on with you?" I ask him, looking into his half baked eyes.

"Long long week. I need to get some sleep.," he tells me.

I laugh and ask if he's heading out with us.

"Hellz yeah," he replies instantly perking up. Got love this crew.

We walk into the apartment and I start with introductions.  Besides Homeless Boyfriend and Hippie chick the Street Artist is also there and a couple of other randoms from the Hipster crew. The room is thick with the smell of weed. Its a party night fo sho.

Astro runs into his room and comes back out a few later in his going out clothes.
"Hey, I got a new rhyme," he tells us excited."I'm calling it Brownies and Benedryl...because that's what I'm on."

I'm guessing he's not referring to the pure chocolate kind.  Astro starts busting out his rap. He is truly bad ass when it comes to dropping a flow and the room is bopping their heads to his song.  A few seconds in one of the hipsters starts beat boxing along with him. Within a few minutes the entire room has added another layer of vocal percassions and the song really starts to take shape. The Kid and Goodtimes are busting up. My friends rock.

I leave the boys socializing and duck into the room with Hippie Chick to help her finish getting dressed. She decides on some black shorts, off the shoulder rocker tshirt and a pair of lace up ankle boots. She ties her hair into a side braid and puts a hippie headband  on her head. We are red to go.

We all pile onto the street and head to the bar. Just then Henny pulls up. The only place to park is a small spot that requires some skilled parallel parking. We all begin to scream and rag on her until she securely locks herself into position. More hugs. The crew is gathered. Its time to hit the front door and see Partyboy.

 I'm nervous. I need to make this quick. Say hello and get my happy ass into the bar before too many words are exchanged. Luckily for me The Kid and I are still in friend  mode so I don't have to worry about any hand holding or surprise kisses. Now Partyboy on the other hand...well, with him you can never quite tell what he's going to do.

We walk up to the door and I cut ahead of The Kid and Goodtimes so I can say hi out of ear shot of the two. Partyboy pulls me into a hug. I cut it short and tell him, "Dude, I have your sweater in my car. I'll get it to you before I leave for sure k?"

I try to make it sound cool and on the friend tip.

He responds, "Yeah ok cool, um I wanted to talk to you later too."

Huh? Talk to me about what? My mind starts to race. I mean what does he want to discuss? Maybe he wants to tell me about his girl? But that would be weird. Maybe he wants to explain why he turned cold so quickly? But why bother? We are already done and cool hanging out together. Whatever. I can't talk with him tonight so I just let it go.

I turn around and wave at the boys to follow me in. Partyboy gives them both a quick glance but lets them in without a question. Good. He suspects nothing. I mean I know he and I are done, but I still think its rude to bring a dude here. I decide to stay as far away from the front door as possible tonight.

I show the guys around the bar. Its warm and jumpin in side. We head to the back bar and order drinks all around. I order a shot and the boys get martinis the bars specialty. They both already have a buzz on. We have been prepartying it all day.

Its fun. We are all talking and taking pics and getting our booze on. I know I'm definitely getting buzzed at this point because The Kid is looking yummier and yummier by the minute.

He is sitting on a tall chair against the wall. I lean over and sit in between his legs. I can't help but get a quick flash back on how I had did this very same thing just a few days ago with Partyboy. But this ain't him. The kid opens up immediately and lets me in. I grab his hands and he gives me a squeeze. Hmmm. Better.

Its getting late and Homeless boyfriend makes the announcement that its time to get to the next venue. We all decide to catch a cab to head over to the Key Club for the concert. Great. Now I have to walk back through the front door and Partyboy again. This is starting to feel like an obstacle course.

We get to the front and lucky for me Partyboy is talking to someone. I duck by him and onto the street. Done. I'll give him his sweater later.  I'm too buzzed to engage.

We snag a couple of cabs and split up. The Kid, Goodtimes, Astro and me in one. Street Artist, Henny, Homeless boyfriend and Hippie chick in the other. I place my head on his shoulder as we drive, our fingers laced together. Man I like this guy.

My phone rings. Its Partyboy. What the hell? I turn my phone to silent. Guess he wants his sweater. Too late. I'm gone. 
We get to the club in two shakes of a lambs tail. The line is small but we seldom worry about that. Homeless boyfriend and Astro head to the front and give their names and we all head into the club single file line like.

The ground floor is packed, so we head up to the third floor for some room and a no wait bar. Street Artist walks up to me and hands me a red rose. Behind him I see Henny holding a white rose against her nose. "You bought us roses?," I ask him taking the gift.

"Yep," he says grinning ear to ear.

So freaking sweet. I give him a huge hug and kiss on the cheek. This guy rocks.

The music is loud and so are we. The night is an awesome blur. I barely even realized when the Ying Yang Twins hit the stage. The third floor is almost empty so it feels like our own private party. Street Artist pulls Henny and me to the bar and orders a couple of Hennessy shots for the two of us. Man this guy is on fire tonight. We take the shot...and then another. I'm officially drunk.

"So are you still loving my blog?," I ask him.

"Hell yeah,"he responds "dude, you know why its so great? Because its us. Your documenting us, who we are and what we do everyday. Its awesome."

I grin. He's right. I love being the one documenting our lives. Good times.

"So that's The Kid huh," he asks me nodding over in the Kids general direction.

"Yep," I say with a smile.

"Well get back over there, I don't want to keep you from him."
Smart man. I head back over.

Its been hours since I had first picked him up at the airport and still no kiss from my man. I've been determined not to be the first to do it. It's hard. I'm usually a total dude when it comes to these things, so its an effort to hold back my perv.

I walk up to him and wrap my arm around his shoulders and ask, "You having a good time?"

He looks at me and instead of answering he leans in for a kiss. I'll take that as an affirmative.
The kiss is awesome. On a scale from ten to the best he rates number one. Always has.

We pull away to see Goodtimes face planted between us. "Its about freaking time," he yells excitedly.
I laugh and go back in for another.

The Kid is good and drunk at this point. He is not a dancer by nature but he's getting his jiggy on. He pulls up behind me and starts bumping and grinding to the music. He starts to drop it to the floor. I laugh and go down with him. The boy wants to dance? I'll show him some dancing. I start to bump and grind with him with a practiced skill only a trained tahitian dancer can do. The reaction is immediate. Its again makeout time and I'm loving it.

I'm surrounding by my friends and my man and the music is bumping. I'm drunk and getting my mack on. I'm having a good freaking time. Then it hits me. This night is only going to get better because I'm actually going to get layed.

Hallefreakingluyah!  It's been months since I've done the deed. I mean I've fooled around a bit...as you know...but as far as going all the way? Its been a hot minute. 

Like I've said, I'm not the casual sex type. Besides The Kid, I've never done it. And I wouldn't really call The Kid casual. Its been 3 years of on again off again good times. No fights, no breakups, no expectations. Just a call when I'm in town and we are a ready made couple. Can't wait to get home...

The concert is over and we all head out. We decide to go grab some food but we are all out of cash leaving us cabless. Homeless boyfriend tells us we should just walk, it isn't far.

Well the man is big fat liar face. I swear this is the longest walk I've ever taken. I'm in booted heels and my feet are not loving it. The crowd gets way ahead of The Kid and I. Goodtimes heads back to the club to join Astro who is interviewing the Ying Yang Twins. So the Kid and I are on our own.

Between my booted feet and his drunken stumbling, we are a hot mess. I'm taking tiny painful steps and he looks like he is playing a game of ping pong with his own body.  It's taking forever and I'm starving to death. Luckily for me about half way through our walk we get offered a snack from our new found stranger friend Scottyboy. Scotty is standing on the side of the sidewalk by himself holding a large cheese pizza.

"help me eat this, please?" he pleads with us.

Well ask and you shall receive mr man.

The pizza is amazing. I wish I would have looked at the box to see where it was from. We are walking down Santa Monica blvd grubbing on cheese pizza on our way to an all night diner. Awesome.

We finish up the pizza and Scotty says his goodbyes. So strange. Maybe he's like some kind of pizza fairy or something. Whateves. Scotty where ever you are, I appreciate you.

I get a text from Partyboy. This boy is on tripping me out tonight. I had shot him a quick text a few hours ago saying,"Sorry man. Drop ur sweater off later. I'm drunk as hell."

He sends a text to me now,"What u guys doin?"

Partying without you.
"Walking down santa monica eating free pizza...we sort of lost the group. Drunk."

He doesn't respond. Strange night. I don't feel like the guy is trying to hook up with me again. I think maybe he just wants to hang. That would be preferred. Glasses and I are pretty close now so I want to be able to be comfortable around his friends. I would love to do the friend thing with this guy. But not tonight. Tonight I have a date.

We finally get to the diner. The whole crew is already assembled at a six foot table. After a few Goodtimes and Astro come rolling in.

We all sit and order up some grub. I'm pretty full from the 2 slices of pieces I ate on our walk up so I just order a salad. We are all laughing and breaking down the nights escapades. Street Artist stands up and taps his fork against his glass.

"I just want to thank all of you for being here. I'd like to thank my food. I'd like to thank the Ying Yang twins for showing us a rockin good time. I'd like to thank West Coast Carrie for what she does. I'd like to thank my parents..." he rattles on. Honestly I don't remember the whole speech, except that it was funny and we were drunk and he thanked me. Best speech of all time if you ask me.

The night is turning into early morning. We all pile back out onto the street. Thankfully Homeless Boyfriends apartment is only one block down. We all pass out hugs and goodbyes and I drive the boys back to my place.

Not sure how I made it. I've had way too much to drink tonight but somehow I get our happy ass's home. I walk into my living room and lay down on my super comfy shag carpet. I would have layed there all night. But The Kid had other plans. He walks over to me and grabs the back of my jacket and with a quick pull says,"Lets go!"

Yes sir. I get up and head off to my bedroom with him. I throw off my shoes and lay down on the bed fully clothed. The Kid comes in and turns off the light. Sorry,once again, this one is for my eyes only.

I woke up the next morning naked with my clothes piled neatly by my head. I can feel my makeup smeared across my face. I probably look like a total crack whore. I pop up and head to the bathroom to wash up. Now I'm grinning from ear to ear. Day 1 has came and went and it was awesome.

I walk back into my room and lay back down next to The Kid. He pulls me into his arms and we drift back to sleep for another hour.

Great day. Great morning. It's gonna be a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment