Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Rocker

Who would've thought I'd be kicking it with Partyboy on my first date with The Rocker? I swear this kind of shit only happens to me...

Word of what happened between Partyboy and I spread quickly.  It was all anyone could talk about at a house party the crew were at the next day. I had already given Hippie Chick the scoop so she was up to speed with what happened before she heard PB's side. He basically said the same thing to the Hipster crew at the party. Basically.

He told them that he went into my room, I started caressing him, one thing led to another and then he left. He failed to mention the part where I kicked him out.

My friends weren't buying his whole, "She was trying to seduce me while I was drunk and there was nothing I could do, I have a girlfriend,
 it wasn't my idea," routine.


"Then why would you go into her room?" Homeless Boyfriend asked him.



He had no response for that one.


"Stop fucking around with my roommate!" Hippie Chick yells at him.


The entire party was rolling their eyes in unison at Partyboy. I mean, who was he kidding? These were my friends. Hell, these were my family. They know who I am and they know that I'm not, "That Girl". They also know that he is absolutely, "That Guy".


I finally responded to his last apology text to me.


All I said was, "Always cool. Never awkward."



I meant it. I felt fine. Anything I had felt for Partyboy before is now totally gone. It feels good. I can finally be his friend comfortably. I'm actually really happy the other night happened. I'm over the hump and ready to move on. And just in time too. Now enter the latest and greatest man of the online dating world...The Rocker.


I've been texting back and forth with The Rocker for about a week now. We've only spoken on the phone once. I like him. He was funny and easy-going. We spent most of our time talking about the dramas of online dating. He kept telling me how surprised he was at how "normal" I seemed. Ha. Little does he know, right?


I finally accepted his invite to dinner via text while at a house party in The Valley. Mr. Boston, Hippie Chick, Homeless Boyfriend, Feathers and I all rolled out to celebrate the birthday of one of Miley Cyrus's band members. I know, random right? On the way there, we were all placing bets on whether or not she would be there. She was. I wasn't impressed. Her extensions are more than a little silly. I mean is it really necessary to have mermaid length hair? Come on now?


My little group stuck out like a sore thumb as usual. Young musicians and a ton of "Somebodies" surrounded us. Everyone one of them wondering who the hell we were. "Are you guys in a band?," the crowd kept asking all night. "Nope," we would reply coyly. Let them wonder. We didn't give a shit. Hippie Chick and I were getting compliments all night, " I love your feather earring...I love your hair...did you get that necklace at Wasteland?'' Hilarious. I think it's our high level of comfort and confidence in any situation that makes people wonder who we are. As long as The Plex Force is together, we don't really care about anybody else.


The Rocker text me during my Valley good time.

"So, I'm a bit of a romantic and want to be able to sweep you off your feet,"he sends me. "So, if you pick the cuisine, I can pick the place. Here are your choices,
1.) Mexican
2.) Meaty Tapas
3.) Sushi
4.) Italian
5.) Chinese
Disclaimer: All of these venues have really cool atmospheres with a fusion feel to them."


I show Feathers and Hippie Chick his message. "Ahhhhh," they both say, followed by,"Sushi."

"Agreed," I say, shooting the reply to The Rocker.

The next day it's raining cats and dogs. Not the greatest weather to plan out a super hot first date wardrobe. I decide not to try too hard and just do me. I pick out a pair of black cotton jeggings, knee high leather boots, a rocker t-shirt with my Volcom green army jacket that has a grey cotton hood attached. The sleeves are rolled up on the jacket, so I throw on my dark grey elbow length fingerless gloves with a couple of rings. I pop my feather earring in my ear and I'm red-to-go.


Just as I'm about to shoot a text over to check on The Rocker's status, I get a phone call from Partyboy.

"Hey you," he says. This is his habitual greeting to me. It makes me wonder if he occasionally forgets my name. "I left my charger over there the other day, do you mind if Snapshot and I come by The Plex to pick it up?"

Funny. He's hanging out with Snapshot now? This guy really is a professional Party Chaser.



"Well, Hippie Chick and Homeless Boyfriend aren't here and I'm leaving at eight so as long as you're here before then," I respond.



I know I should tell him not to come down. I mean The Plex occupants have had more than their fill of Partyboy this week. But I can't pass up the opportunity to rub my date in his face.

"Alrighty, we'll see you in a bit!" he says excited.

Perfect.

The boys show up about 20 minutes later. I'm sitting at my desk when they come in. Partyboy comes over and gives me a hug. I feel nothing. Awesome. There is always that moment where you're not quite sure if you're going to feel awkward or hurt when dealing with these types of situations. I mean, we just fooled around two days ago and I had to kick his ass out. I couldn't be sure how I would feel. But I'm good. Things are better than back to normal. I officially don't give a shit.

Mr. Boston hears the noise and comes out of his room. The guys all exchange greetings and take a seat to kick it. So much for just stopping by for a second to pick up his phone charger.

"So Carrie, do you feel like heading out with us and seeing a movie?" Partyboy asks me.

"Can't. Got plans," I tell him.

"What are you doing tonight?" PB says, raising his eyebrow.

I swear, sometimes this is just too easy.

"I got a date," I announce, perhaps too loudly.

The second I make this announcement Partyboy walks away and heads to the couch. Mr. Boston plays his role perfectly.

"So you got a date, huh? Which guy is this?" Mr Boston asks.

"The Rocker. I was just looking up the place he's taking me to. Looks pretty good, check it out," I tell him.

The Rocker had sent me the name of the restaurant and I had pulled up the menu. Dinner dates can be tricky. I always go prepared. I check out websites to find out proper attire, menu options and to peruse the atmosphere.

"Yum. Looks good. And fancy," Mr Boston says nodding his head in approval.

"Where did you meet this guy?" Snapshot asks me.

I swear, if I didn't know better, I would have thought I had paid these guys for their commentary.

"OkCupid. I like it better than Match. The crowd is younger and there are way more creatives on the site," I tell him.

"Yeah, I've done Ok before. What kind of guys have you met on the sites?" Snapshot asks.

That's all I needed. I let my fingers do the walking and start to pull up photos and video of Sinatra and The Creeper. The three of us are hunched over the computer while I share my stories of online dating gone wrong...and right. We're all laughing and the boys are asking me more questions. All except for Partyboy. He is still sulking on the living room couch.

The guys finally join him in the living room and start to watch a movie. Mr. Boston and Snapshot fall asleep after a few, so it's just Partyboy and I. Partyboy keeps asking me questions about nothing in particular. It's getting closer to The Rocker's arrival time. I shoot him a text, "Just text me when you get here and I'll run down."

I have no idea what this guy looks like. I mean I've seen photos, but those can be deceiving. My worse nightmare would be for him to come upstairs and show his true hideousness to not only me, but to the guys as well.

Partyboy gets up to go to the restroom just as The Rocker texts me, "I'm here."

I jump up and head downstairs, enjoying being able to bail without anyone knowing. I'm a grown ass women. I don't need to say goodbye.

I head out into the rain and jump into the car waiting in my driveway. I'm almost afraid to look. But I'm glad I do. Thankfully the guy actually looks better than his photos. His hair is short. Definitely looking more like Orlando Bloom. He is wearing black pin striped pants and a black button down shirt with a heavy stylish trench coat that falls to about his knees. Nice.

"Nice to finally meet you, Carrie," he says smiling at me. Cute smile. This is going to be fun.

We cruise down to the restaurant off of 3rd Street. It's still raining out, so he pulls up to valet. Good call. This guy is playing it right.

I love the joint. It's a large square room with distressed brick walls and a bustling atmosphere. He gives the hostess his name for the reservation. The guy actually made reservations! Man, it's been a while since I've been on a real date. This is nice.

We take a seat and order half of the menu. We both love to eat and aren't being shy about it. He orders us both some sake grapefruit martinis and an order of sliced scallops with kiwi and lemon sauce. It's to die for!

The conversation is easy. The guy is really funny! I catch myself grinning from ear to ear like a goon. He is sarcastic and uses the same type of dry humor to get his points across that I do. He isn't traditionally good looking like Partyboy or The Creeper, but he has the whole 'attractive' vibe working for him. I can't get over my luck! After all the creeps I've been meeting lately, who knew that I would find a hot 'normie' online?!

After dinner he looks at me and asks, " Would you like to get some dessert?"

It's not what he asked, but the way he said it that sends me into hysterics. I mean, he got all serious before he asks me this. He is looking at me intently. No, that's not the word I want to use...he asks me this question while looking at me with lust in his eye.

"Why are you asking me that all dirty like that?" I ask him.

His face goes blank for a moment and than breaks into a huge smile. He begins to laugh, " I did ask that all crazy didn't I?"

I love a guy that can laugh at himself.

"No, seriously, would you like to head somewhere else and pick up some dessert?" he tries again.

"Sure, let's keep the gluttony going," I say.

We head out of the restaurant and he takes me to SLS. I've been to the bar before, but I've never noticed the mini museum with the dessert lounge that's attached to it. The hostess takes us over to a red velvet booth with white wood trim. It's private and out of the way of prying eyes. We look at the menu. It's amazing! One yummy fusion dessert after another. I finally decide on the Tres Leches dessert. They bring it over on a rectangular porcelain plate. There is a white mound on the side that I decide to dip my spoon into. Guava juice comes spilling out. Are you kidding me? The dessert is amazing! He turns to the waitress and orders a bowl of chocolate covered raspberries. Yum.

I pull out my phone to take a photo of our yummy desserts. I see a text from Hippie Chick waiting for me. "How's it going?" she asks.

"Amazing! Really, really funny...I'd love for you to meet him...he freaking rocks!" I text back.

"All the power is out at our house! Partyboy is here. I want to meet your date. You should bring him up lol," she tells me.

You don't have to ask me twice.

"Oh my god," I say to The Rocker, feigning concern.

"What's wrong," he asks.

"All the power is out at The Plex. And we only have a few candles lying around the house." I say.

"Do you want to go pick some up for them after this," he asks.

I shoot Hippie Chick another text. "The Rocker said we can stop and pick some candles up for you guys."

"Awww, he's amazing. That would be a cute adventure if you want to do it. If not no worries," she text back.

Oh yeah. I want and we will.

"Would you mind picking up some wine as well?" she asks. I laugh. I love my drunken roommates.

The Rocker pays out the tab and we head over to a 24-hour Vons. I pick up some Catholic candles, 2 bottles of wine and a 6-pack. We head back to The Plex.

We walk upstairs and I smile when I lay eyes on the scene. Everyone is in the dining room clustered around a couple of candles. Mr Boston is wearing a plaid snowcap with attached earmuffs. Hippie Chick has a floral scarf wrapped around her head like a gypsy. Homeless Boyfriend is rolling a joint and Partyboy has a blanket wrapped around his head and shoulders.

"What's up ya'll," I say as we enter. Partyboy looks over his shoulder at me. I look back at him. The blanket covers his mouth but his eyes are focused right on mine. He's trying to tell me something with that look but I can't figure out what.

"This is The Rocker guys," I say, presenting him like a present.

Everyone stands up for a moment shaking hands and introducing themselves. Partyboy is the first to do it. Good for him. At least he's being an adult about this.

I pass out the candles and head into the kitchen to find a bottle opener in the dark while the guys figure out the seating arrangement. When I head back into the dining room, I see that they've placed a chair for me between Partyboy and The Rocker. Now I know they're trying to fuck with me.

I take a seat and look around at my Plex family. I'm so proud of my little crew. I had told The Rocker a little about them earlier that evening so he was up to speed on who's who. He fits in perfectly. Everyone is engaged and having a good time. Hippie Chick asks what kind of music he sings.

"Classic Rock pretty much." He tells her.

"Really?" she says, "I'm not sure how busy you are, but I'm managing an amazing band right now. We are just looking for a really dope singer to be their front man."

"Hey!" I interrupt. "Can we see if I even want to see this guy again before you two start linking up business arrangements with him?!"

"Oh, it's already done," Hippie Chick says smiling.

"Yeah, either way I'm going to be around," The Rocker says laughing.

Meanwhile, Partyboy is grabbing the bottle of whiskey from the table and chugging it down like water. Hippie Chick gives me a "WTF?" look from across the table. Partyboy puts the bottle down and mumbles something incoherent. HC tells me later that he was acting perfectly normal before we got there. Guess he's feeling uncomfortable about not being my center of attention for once. Whatever. Squirm monkey squirm.

Partyboy finally gets up and announces that he needs to catch the bus. Another Plex shocker! It's Sunday night, Partyboy's traditional time to sleep over and live off of us for a few days before he goes back to work on Friday. His sudden decision to part is more than just a little out of character. The Rocker stands up and shakes Partyboy's hand.

"Nice meeting you, bro," he says to him.

"You too," Partyboy mumbles.

Then out the door he went.

The rest of the crew is tired and says their good nights as well. Now it's just The Rocker and I kicking it in the dining room by candlelight. I don't feel a need to kiss him at this point. I'm perfectly content just kicking it in his space.

"You're really lucky," he says to me.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"The Plex is an awesome place. And I don't just mean the apartment. Your roommates? They're great. You really have something special here."

I smile. I know I do and I love it.

"Even Partyboy. I mean, he obviously has his problems but you can tell that guy has a good heart," he continues.

Man, this guy is perceptive.

We talk awhile longer. He shakes his head and tells me, "I must say, you are even more beautiful than your photos."

"Thank you. I tried my hardest to only post pictures that look the way I do on a daily basis." I tell him.

"It's crazy. I've been doing this online dating thing for a little while and never once did I expect to experience anything significant. But I have to say...this moment, sitting here with you right now? Well, it feels pretty freaking significant."

Melt my freaking heart! This guy is laying out compliments yet not one of them is coming across as cheesy. My gag reflex hasn't been triggered once. He is just stating exactly what is on his mind and I love it. You can tell he has no insecurities. He's not afraid about what I'll think of his statements. He's just speaking his truths, whether I'm open to it or not.

We start to talk about relationships. The Rocker was in a 7 year relationship with his last girlfriend. " I know it compares nothing to your 10 year marriage but it felt important to me. We were headed down that path. It's crazy that it ended. I'm still reeling from it."

"I know what you mean," I tell him. "Mr. Boston and I were talking about it the other day. He was telling me how so many people are looking and striving to achieve what I've already had. That most people think that marriage is the end game. Yet here I am, having been there, done that. I've moved passed it and realize that there is so much more out there to do and learn and achieve."

"Yeah, up to this point I've just been sort of dating but not really taking anything all that seriously," he says.

"Me either. I mean, just a few months ago I was this big open wound. I'm a lot better now but I can still feel the sore spots. I'm not eager to put myself into a position where someone can push on the parts that hurt. I don't want to feel that tug. I just want to be me. Do me. Not worry about that potential pain," I tell him.

"Well, I think that's why the pain is there," he says. "So that when we get into those situations again, we know that we need to get out. If someone pushes on a sore spot, that's our experience telling us to get out and move on."

Man, I like this guy.

We've been sitting in the dining room for an hour or so. I get up and lead him into the living room where we can sit more comfortably on the couch. We spend another few hours talking and laughing with each other. Night turns into early morning.

"Don't you need to go to work tomorrow...today I mean," I ask him.

"Yeah, but honestly there is not one part of me that wants to leave right now," he replies.

He looks at me and finally makes his move. It only took 10 hours but The Rocker finally kisses me. And man do I like it! "I've been wanting to do that since you got into my car," he says to me.

We spend the next 30 minutes locked into a full-blown make out fest. The man is sexy as hell. There is a moment where I take my thumb and press it against his lips. He immediately opens up and bites the tip. Then he grabs my hand and starts to kiss the inside of my wrist. Jesus, this man knows what he's doing! He leans in and scoops his head under my chin and starts to kiss up my neck. I'm in freaking heaven.

I grab the back of his hair and pull him back up to my mouth. I press him against me and give him a nice blast of my pheromones. He breaks away from me and says, "Man you are smokin!"

I smile and pull him in for more.

The sun is rising and the room is getting lighter and lighter. I hear Hippie Chicks television turn on in her room.

"You better get going. You're going to be hating it at work today." I tell him.

He sighs and gets up to grab his coat. I follow him. I forgot how tall he was. He slips on his jacket and pulls me in for another kiss. Yum.

I walk him downstairs and he wraps me into his arms for a moment.


He begins to hum, "Hum hum hmm hmm."

"Um, did you just hum 'Here Comes the Bride'?" I ask him.

His face goes blank before he answers, " No, but it did sound like that didn't it?"

I can't take it! I burst into laughter. I'm standing on the last steps to The Plex bent over, leaning on his torso for support. I can't stop the giggle fest. My stomach is in pain. I finally pull myself together and stand back up. I could see that he had been laughing too. The guy has a sense of humor. No matter what I throw at him, he's able to catch it, no problem. This guy rocks!

I don't want him to have to leave on such a silly note. I get serious and pull him in for one last kiss. He has the same idea and turns my body so that he can press me up against the wall. Oh yeah! Thank you and good night.

We finally break away from each other and he walks out the door and into the light. He turns around and says, "So, I'll be seeing you right? Soon?"

"Yes, soon," I answer back.

He smiles than presses his fingers against his mouth and gives them a kiss. I know it sounds cheesy, but I swear it wasn't. It was sweet and super smooth.

With that, he gets into his car and drives away.

I get a text about 15 minutes later. "I'm filled with awe right now that OkCupid introduced me to such a badass beauty."

Right back at you man. How in the hell did this happen? I'm smitten. I haven't liked or had such a good time with a guy since I first met The Kid. I've totally connected with him on a whole other level. We share the same interests and humor. We laugh and have a good time. The chemistry is there but we don't have to rely on it. Like I said, I just love kicking it in this guy's space.

Do I dare say it? Have I found my...Cool Rider?

Arg, too soon to tell! I need to calm down...except that I can't. I'm positively giddy!

It happened, Dear Reader. Carrie is sprung.

WCC

No comments:

Post a Comment